Red Rocks

This past weekend we went to Las Vegas to visit my grandparents! It was about 113 degrees the first day we got there, and the heat was incredible. I rushed from air conditioned place to air conditioned place for the most part, so I didn't get much of a tan, but I enjoyed every moment of being there!

Every time we go, we drive up to the red rocks. It's my absolute favorite; the rocks are stunning, absolutely unreal, and I always try to get as many pictures as I can but they never do them justice. They are huge and towering, and the texture is sometimes bubbly and other times harsh and jagged, and the colors are so vibrant... 

 I love the greenness of Washington, my walks through the woods that practically glow green light through the leaves and moss, and the enclosed feeling that you get surrounded by trees and hugged on one side by the ocean. It will always feel comforting and like home to me.

However, on this trip and really was able to appreciate the beauty of the vast, open land and incredible warm colors of the landscape. Places like this used to really bother me as a kid, because they felt too open... so open, in fact, that I almost felt claustrophobic. I think the word I'd use though is lost. Lost in all the sprawling land and shimmering heat and nothingness.

But again, I really saw the incredible beauty of it this time, more than ever before. It didn't seem like a huge blank canvas, but a magnificent work of art.
















Comments

Popular Posts