Purpose

Wow. If I were home right now, I'd be baking. I'd make something really autumn-y, ideally with pumpkin, or maybe just something filled with chocolate.  I'd dance around in my kitchen, gathering ingredients while the new Head and the Heart album played on the speakers, and think about how happy my family would be when I called them down to partake of my delicious baked somethings. Especially my little brother Andrew-- I love baking for Andrew. He's always so dang delighted. I'd call them down, and bring something in to my dad in his office on a plate.

I guess that's kind of service. I love it when I can make my family happy like that, while simultaneously doing something I love. I miss doing that kind of thing, surprising people and making them happy, but I don't really know how to do it here. I haven't got any means for baking, and I don't know how to do those little acts of kindness for people I'm not super close to. In fact it kind of terrifies me.

Oh, well. Anyway. I digressed from the point I was originally trying to make, which is that I'm rather homesick. Not that that's any sort of news, as I've been homesick for a month and a half now (holy smokes! I've been here a month and a half!) but today I felt a particular longing for being... I guess not needed, but... helpful? Or comforting, or nice to have around, or something like that.    

Comments

Popular Posts