Goodbye Starbucks!

There are many aspects of working at Starbucks that I am SO EXCITED to leave behind tomorrow- exhausting closing tasks and nasty customers and supervisors who are never satisfied with my work. Stupid Steven who acts like he's my boss and tells me coldly to "wash my hands please" every time I enter the kiosk, before I can even get to the sink (this kid was hired at the same time as me and he loves telling me all the stuff I'm doing wrong).

But despite the fact that I'm ecstatic to be free, I will also miss certain aspects. I've found I actually enjoy making people's drinks a lot of the time. I like making experimental samples, especially when people rave about how good they are. I also will miss my faithful customers who I see every day.

So long venti-caramel-frappacino-with-two-scoops-of-protein-powder-and-extra-caramel-Lady who always calls me sweetheart. So long grande-iced-quad-shot-caramel-macciato-Lady who used to be grumpy but now loves me. Goodbye venti-caramel-macciato-guy-with-so-much-extra-caramel-it's-slightly-nauseating who always has like six kids in tow. And goodbye caramel-ribbon-crunch-with-no-whip-girl who's boyfriend I accidentally flirted with that first time. So long wonderful nonfat-latte-with-one-splenda-and-extra-foam-lady who is so easy to talk to. Goodbye lovely short-soy-chai-lady, and grande-white-chocolate-mocha-stirred-with-whip-cream-man who is gruff but always gives me a great tip, and plain-old-Pike-guy who made me answer trivia questions for extra tips, and venti-bone-dry-cappacchino-man whose drink I never quite mastered. And goodbye to my very favorite, two-venti-decaf-americanos-with-six-pumps-sugar-free-vanilla-and-three-splenda-Lady who writes erotic novels and and a beard and gave me life advice.

These are just fraction of my regular customers who come in and don't even have to tell me what they're getting, I know their drinks by heart. And although I am not usually a terribly chatty person with strangers, I've gotten to know most of them in little ways and some of them pretty well.

But I've only been working there a few months, and I'm certainly not like the others. One customer brought in a huge zucchini and asked me to please give it to Diane, who works mornings. A little boy came in with a home-made cell phone and asked me to give it to "his friend Lily" who is the most wonderful girl who works there too. Michelle got a whole casserole from a customer the other day just as I was punching in.

Being a barista means being a listener and a sympathizer and a source of comfort for some people when they come to get their favorite drink made just the right way. I am certainly not the kind of barista the other women are at that Starbucks, but I am glad I have been able to brighten people's days sometimes. I definitely learned a lot from the experience, and in a way I'll miss it.

But... I'm mostly thrilled to be almost DONE!!!

Comments

Popular Posts