The Changeover

The Changeover is a book I read briefly about on Kristin Cashore's website, where she posted a short passage from it. Here is the passage she put:

The sight of Sorry standing at the school gate that morning had filled her with a soft electricity, exciting but not totally amiable.

He kissed her very briefly and said, “The Sleeping Beauty always loves the prince who wakes her. You’ve had it now, Chant... no hope for you, I’m afraid.” / “I woke myself,” Laura said.

Just that passage convinced me to go out immediately and place a hold on this book at our library. Which is not very well stocked, I might add. It took about two months for them to pull it out of deep storage, but I'd been checking weekly (I think I have some weird supernatural sense for books... I can tell I'll love them, most times, before I even open them.) And I was not disappointed.

When I got it, I immediately became so engulfed in it that I barely studied for my AP gov test the next day, didn't read my school book that i'd gotten 100 pages behind in, and instead stayed up till 1:00 in the morning to finish this. It. was. glorious. (and also SO terrifying, so I'd advise reading it in the light of day if you don't want the pants scared off you.) I reread it over the next few days. I'm buying it on amazon immediately.

I love that we can't immediately tell if Sorry is a hero or villain. In other supernatural romances (you know what I'm talking about) the leading male often struggles with the idea that he could be a "bad guy," all the while being a perfect gentleman. With Sorry, its actually hard to know. He is intrusive, sexual, often unfeeling, and yet Laura brings out something so soft and vulnerable in him that causes such a feeling of tenderness. He claims he has shut down his heart, and yet his very reasons for doing so are actually quite noble; he doesn't want to be corrupted. One can't constantly sigh over his heroism and protectiveness (though he does have his moments), but it's quite refreshing that he trusts Laura to do things herself; he is unbelievably sexy and endearing and relatable and terrifying.

Laura is also a fabulous character, because she's very frank, straightforward, and not wishy-washy as so many girls in books are. She's strong enough to know when to let Sorry in, and when to keep him out, and doesn't have constant battles with herself over the decisions she makes. In some ways she seems older than fourteen, but it also feels perfect that she should be so young; she sees the world out of clear, almost innocent eyes (although maybe innocent is the wrong word...?), and goes through a huge transformation that changes her from a girl to a young woman in a really beautiful and real way.

There are some other things I LOVEDDD about this book that I feel like I can't say without serious spoilers, but lets just say that it's ending is brilliant, and just exactly what it should have been, though I do wish the book was longer.

Okay so I don't know if that did this book any justice, but suffice it to say that its one of my new favorite books ever (definitely my favorite supernatural romance) and I am so incredibly  lucky to have encountered it. Its one of those books that stay with you, the characters are so memorable and the story so haunting. It will be a new part of my intimate and exclusive book collection :]

Comments

Popular Posts