WHY, TELEVISION?

So I was watching some episodes of New Girl, that show with Zooey Deschanel, and it was REALLY funny. I was a giggling mess, holed up in my room with my laptop in bed. The characters are so lovable, Zooey Deschanel is so freaking cute, and everything she wears is like MY FAVORITE, and I bet she smells like sunshine, and I just want to be her sister and share her closet please.

Anyway. The humor and lovable characters and whatever made me temporarily forget that I don't watch television like this, because essentially there is only one plot point, and that is sex.

Someone did it or wants to do it or doesn't want to do it with some other character, and that is IT. The only thing that moves the show's plot. I re-realized this when I was going through the episode list trying to find the episode where Jess and Nick finally come to terms with their feelings for each other (another very original plot point), and I found that EVERY SINGLE SYNOPSIS was about someone doing inappropriate things. I just sat back and thought those sneaky television devils have lured me in again, this time using my girl-crush on Zooey Deschanel.

Every show these days tries to incorporate funny, cute, and relatable new characters to drive the same point home; "life is all about sex and that's pretty much it." No wonder half the people I talk to these days don't think they "really believe in love, at least not the fairy-tale kind." It's because fidelity and commitment are mocked or disregarded in the media, and the meaning of true love is lost is the world-wide OBSESSION with sex.

For the most part I don't watch current television, because every time I really get invested in a show, I have to tear my heart out and stop watching it because I know the morals are absolutely abhorrent. I refuse to expose myself to that willingly on a regular basis, when I so strongly disagree with it. It drives the spirit out of my life.

And it's really hard. It's harder than it would seem, to keep being disappointed, to keep having to turn off the TV, shut the computer, be stronger than the adversary. It surrounds us in our daily life, and we need to have the strength to turn away, to say no. It's not just a one-time thing; we have to keep saying no over and over and over again, even when we're all alone in our rooms and no one's watching, even when EVERYONE else is doing it, even when you're greatest weaknesses are being exploited.

I know Heavenly Father wouldn't send us here at this time if we weren't strong enough to do this.

And another thing: I know that true love (the fairy tale kind) does exist, as long as we have the patience to find it, and as long as we do it right. I mean the whole sha-bang, adoration that lasts until you're the old grandparents from Up, giving surprising little acts of love and service long after the general air of mystery is out of the relationship, best friends for life and all the Notebook stuff or whatever. It's all there if you're willing to work for it. And to wait for it.

Comments

Popular Posts