Four Ways to Enjoy Valentines Day



While I myself have never (not once) had a “special someone” on Valentines Day, I can’t help loving the holiday. I’ll be honest, the abundance of chocolate does factor in to my approval. But that’s not all; it’s the idea of celebrating love, of showing sweet displays of affection to the people in one’s life whom one cares about, that really gets me. I remember mornings of drinking pink hot cocoa and reading the little notes left for me, and trying to find something pink in my closet (it’s never easy.) The hearts and flowers and girly stuff, all in the drizzly month of February, never fails to brighten my mood. You can complain all you want about how it’s commercialized or cliché, but I really don’t care as long as I can get a box of sweethearts for 50 cents, some sort of dark chocolate, and a good chick flick all to myself. Today, I am going to give you all my Valentines Favorites, so that the feeling can maybe last throughout the month.
1           Choosing a romantic book definitely prolongs the spirit of things. But GOOD romantic books can be so hard to find, and once you find them, they often end up breaking your heart (for example, stay away from Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, and Romeo and Juliet.) Don’t worry; I’ll give you three good options (spoiler: they have happy endings.)
a.     Graceling by Kristin Cashore
b.     Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
c.      How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (okay fine, this one’s kind depressing.)
2           No one needs my help choosing a romantic movie.
3          Top Five Most Romantic Songs:
-Daydreamer by Adele (If you are currently single)
-Fly Me to the Moon by Tony Bennett (If you’re secretly an old lady like I am)
-Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon (What I like to blast in my car while speeding)
-Turning Page by Sleeping At Last (You’re head over heels. Also your name is Edward Cullen.)
-Something by the Beatles (George, I know John and Paul always underestimated you. Also, too bad Pattie left you for Eric Clapton, even after you wrote her one of the greatest love songs of all time)
       Finally, make sure to drink your hot cocoa with whip cream and heart sprinkles, remember that dark chocolate is good for your heart, brain, is full of antioxidants, and try actually writing a valentine for someone you love. Also give them disgusting quantities of baked goods.












One of my favorite Romeo and Juliet images :) There's a poster of this in our drama room:


Comments

Popular Posts