As I was watching Becoming Jane tonight, I once again was absolutely absorbed by the interactions between Jane and Tom. They spoke so eloquently to one another, so precisely, every word carefully chosen and fraught with implications, and there was such obvious tension. It was so flirtatious, but never ever silly... they always said exactly what they meant, and they said it well.

And I was just thinking about the boys and girls I have seen flirting, in High School and here at college. It's so unbelievably silly. They deal with the tension by being giggly and talking about the most stupid things, I mean really dumb stuff, and embellishing with casual physical contact. I know comparing their conversations to a carefully written movie script for one of the greatest female novelists of all time might seem a little harsh, but at the same time I don't think that wishing for more intelligent male-female interaction is asking for too much.

I just really hope I, at some point, meet someone who can combine the art of flirtation with good discussion. Someone who takes flirtation up a notch from teasing and touching to something more intelligent and interesting.

And... that's pretty much all I had to say.

Comments

Popular Posts