Some Brief Reviews

I am eating whip cream out of a cup and wondering why I can taste pumpkin pie in very bite. I guess my mind has squashed the two together somehow. I think eating whip cream out of a cup is probably undignified and disgusting, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

This summer I read Jane Eyre again, but I skipped the first nine chapters. And also most of the part with St. John. I don't care what you think, I just couldn't get interested in it. How can you expect the reader to just calmly read however many millions of pages of Jane is at that place doing absolutely nothing, when Mr. Rochester is back at Thornfield, torn apart with grief? And besides, I've already read the book all the way through before-- you know what, I don't have to explain myself to you!!

I also read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card for the first time. I cannot believe I'd never read it before, I cannot believe I've spent so much of my life unaffected by that gorgeous beauty of a science fiction novel. Oh my gosh. I'm judging all of you who haven't read it. I'm glaring incredulously at you. I'm temporarily ending our friendship so that you can go redeem yourself. Go. Run like the wind to the library. I'll wait.

Another thing I did was to reread Bitterblue, which was written by one of my favorite living authors and a fellow blogger, Kristin Cashore. I enjoyed it just as much the second time (I'm a big book rereader. I think of myself as having long lasting, sustained relationships with my books by revisiting them often. I'm joking but also not.) I have sooo many thoughts and ideas and opinions about it, and I want to do an entire post dedicated to all my feelings. It will happen. Soon.

(Oh and by the way Kristin Cashore's blog This Is My Secret will be linked here. Its pretty much my inspiration to start a blog, and also to do more writing. She's brilliant.)

Finally, I have to read this book but I'm going about it slowly and pathetically because I know it's going to be depressing. It's Angela's Ashes, by Frank Mcourt. I'm usually not so afraid to open up a sad book, especially when it comes with such good recommendations from everyone, but I'm just not in the mood for anything really heavy right now. I've ordered The Changeover by Margaret Mahy, and I'm really excited about it- I'll do a review or something when I'm done.






Comments

Popular Posts