The Necklace

It seems that one of my very favorite poems of all time is not ANYWHERE on the interenet. Nowhere. I found it once in an old New Yorker during Brinn's class, and it used to be that I could find a fuzzy little archived copy if I looked it up on google, which I couldn't actually read but at least it was there. But now it's not there at all, nothing comes up, as if it's never even existed.
Luckily, I memorized most of it. So I'll write out the part I remember...

The Necklace
By Jonathon Galassi

These little irises could be your eyes
If they were twice as large and twice as dark
But if I got inside them,
Could I find the vein which is the tunnel to your heart?
I may be in there--
I see signs under the silky shadow/luminesence.
Is it feeling's fierce antiguity?
Or a more troubled, more elusive essence?
You're other eyes have locked me out sometimes,
They had good reason to, but not ignored
The guilty pleading boring out from mine
There are no words for, as there are no words
For what these laquer seeds say;
Irritation brought them on, but patience made them pearls
through the pigneadedness, devotion,
...
...
...
Remember when you where these little worlds.

Comments

Popular Posts