A Beatles Post

So I am a huge Beatles fan, if you didn't know. I know every song, every album, I've watched their movies countless times (including the Anthology) (not including Magical Mystery Tour; once was enough), and read every major Biography. I know the Beatles back to front, good and bad, there aren't many interviews I haven't hunted down or  pictures I haven't perused.

Obviously, I couldn't pick a favorite song or album, but I go through phases for different ones. I grew up on the classic early hits, but then as a teenager began getting into Rubber Soul and Revolver, and slowly moved into their later stuff.

I remember when I was really young, listening to Ticket to Ride on my Dad's "Beatles Hits" CD in the living room. I used to sort of stomp around the carpet when I was listening to music, and the words kind of hit me, this one time, and I realized that this girl was going to leave him; go on a train and not come back. And I honest to goodness started to cry, I felt so bad for him. That song is still bittersweet beauty to me.

When I was in 8th grade and I fell in love with not just their music but their wit and charm and charisma, I wrote extensively in journals about my eternal love for Paul, and occasionally my secret fascination with John Lennon. It was Beatlemania I tell you, full-blown giggly madness, but I was fourteen and how could I resist them?

Oh, Darling; Julia; Blackbird; Something; Yesterday; Eleanor Rigby. There's this most early version of Strawberry Fields that's just pure acoustic on the Anthology CDs, and it brings me to shivery tears when I hear it. It's like a skeleton, exposed and raw, and suddenly everything that song is makes sense. I listen to them when I am far from home and feel lost, I listen to them when I need to center myself.

Lately I've been loving "Baby's in Black", "I'm a Loser", "Misery", and other such Beatles For Sale tracks. There's just something about the harmonies and the simplicity that comforts me.

And so yesterday, when Mr. Deligan my AP Government teacher, upon learning of my love for them, asked me what my favorite album was, I suddenly was mute before the seemingly vast expanse of options. I don't have a favorite album. But for some reason, out of the mass of twisted album titles seeming to float before me, I grabbed one and pulled.

"With the Beatles."

Yep. I declared boldly that "With the Beatles" was my favorite Beatles album.

I mean, guys, out of all my options, every single one, this is not exactly one that illustrates my profound love, emotional connection, and musical appreciation of their work. Sure, I do love that album. It has "You Really Got a Hold on Me," which absolutely kills me, I just can't explain it but I love the way John sings that, as if he's in pain. (Which sounds silly and morbid but honestly go listen to it.) Plus "Hold me Tight," "All My Loving," and "All I've Got to Do." But yeah, I'm pretty sure that is not an album I would ever consider to be My Favorite, were I to have one, and I'm pretty embarrassed even though it was just my AP gov teacher.







Comments

Popular Posts