Moments...

1. Getting my cavities filled at 8:00 in the morning on Tuesday was quite an interesting way to begin the day. Squeezing my eyes shut when I knew they were getting the needle to numb me with... heart racing, thinking of Stephanie Nielson and all the pain and hospital work she had to go through. If she could do all that, I can stand a little needle. After thinking that, I felt brave. Even when they stuck that needle in twice and held it for so long in there, and my heart was racing like you wouldn't believe, I kept thinking of Stephanie. Thinking of Stephanie gets me through a lot of things, actually.


2. The DVD player spitting The Fellowship of the Ring back out at Amanda and I over and over again when we were trying to watch it on Wednesday, which was very disapointing because Amanda has never seen LOTR, and thus has never lived. Now she has to wait until Monday and I just don't know if I'm okay with that ethically.
But we still ate delicious homemade pizza that I concocted (whole wheat flour with spinach and sun dried tomatoes on top) and talked and watched episodes of House and laughed a lot and also talked about death and sickness. I love that about Amanda. We switch from funny to serious at lightening speed and it's not at all disconcerting, and I just really love and deeply enjoy our conversations.

3. I had many beautiful moments watching my mom with her students these past few days as I went to school with her. They love her so much, and she brings so much light and joy to so many who endure darkness and pain outside her classroom. Seeing the way their sweet faces lit up when she talked to them, many faces you wouldn't expect to become that innocent and adoring, was amazing.
Honestly I used to kind of resent the fact that we kind of had to share her with them, and that they took so much of her time and attention. But seeing them these past few days, I realized that thinking that was really selfish of me, because they need her so badly. I really can't explain the way they looked at her. She is their teacher and confidant and friend, just like she is mine.
But she is my mom and not theirs and that will never change. :)


Comments

Popular Posts