Vertigo

You know those certain flashes of really vivid memories you have from when you were really young? I have this incredibly old memory of playing and there being a movie going on in the background, and hearing my name. And I turn and watch as this man is running up this winding stairway, yelling "Madeleine! Madeleine!!" and then I remember her falling off the building. I was morbidly fascinated, because it was so unbelievably terrifying (and slightly thrilling) to have a beautiful suicidal heroine share my name. And then die. I mean really. I always wanted to see it after that.

For film class I got to see the movie tonight (which is called Vertigo), and I must say it was just as terrifying as it was when I was little. Especially because... well, you always kind of put yourself in the place of the girl in scary movies, you know? And this time, whenever they talked to her, they actually said my name. My name, which they even spell the same way. (BTW I just about died every time Jimmy Stewart said my name, it was awesome). And she even looks like a me a little, and it was enough to totally freak me out.

And the ending of course took my breath away, it was so freaky and abrupt.

But, I loved it. I love Hitchcock, I love Jimmy Stewart, Kim Novak is amazing, I love good old fashioned ghost stories, I love plot twists. It was definitely my kind of movie. :)

Comments

Popular Posts