Before I Fall

Some Things before I begin my review:
1) Last night was the final episode of iCarly. Waaaa. Tears were shed. Not by me. But according to my twitter feed others were actually crying. I, personally, was SMILING because (spoiler) she FINALLY kissed Freddy. GUYS. At least something in the world of televison ended right.
2) Dear Jack and Kate,
Just sit down and talk it out. PLEASE. Stop dragging the rest of us along in your unspoken pain and misery.
From,
Watching Lost and dying.
(I watched all of season five and started season six over the Thanksgiving weekend. Don't judge me.)

So, The review:

Before I Fall seemed to be, in the beginning, my worst nightmare of a book. It was from the perspective of a popular alcohol guzzling cruel 17-year-old girl who thinks she's the hottest thing ever, and I get that it was all supposed to be annoying, but after 100 pages I was like how is this still happening?? This character cannot possibly become likable. She's yucky. I hate her.

And no matter how ironic it was supposed to be, it didn't change the fact I know girls who are like Lindsay. And I know countless boys who are like Rob. I see them every day. So it was hard to stomach reading about her and her horrible friends, as I interacted with people who have the same outlook like actually. I get enough of it.

But somehow, and I kid you not, the author did make her likable. And it seemed effortless.

Yeah, it did take, like, a long time. And having to read so much of that horrible shallowness almost made it not worth it. But the ultimate love-story, the appreciation for her family, the description of the truly good little things we should all be thankful for... a deep understanding of this person and the people in her life... the realization of the importnace of our day-to-day choices... it all came together to become a really beautiful story. (And um, Kent was the cutest. The scenes with him were adorable. He was just the kind of polar-opposite from all other males in the story that was so, so needed.)

So a word of warning before reading: themes of major drinking, smoking, doing drugs, having sex, and generally being awful to other people are included. But it's really accurate to the average high schooler's life... personally, I stay away from all that stuff and, besides having to overhear people talking about it a lot, I don't really have any problems avoiding it. But I know it's all there, all of it and more, and that made this book hard to read. Hard because I don't want to read about all this stuff I try so hard to keep away every day.

She's not celebrating it, she's critisizing it and saying that it blinds people, makes them harder and meaner and more ruthless than they are. But it's still layed out for you.

And thats what I have to say about that!

Hope your break was wonderful, talk to you again soon.

Comments

Popular Posts