Language and words and stuff.

My linguistics class is super interesting, because I love discussing language. Last semester my friend Amanda took a linguistics class, and at dinner we'd talk and talk about the things she'd learned in her class. The topics spawn so much discussion. Here are some random things I was thinking about in my most recent class:

1) I love the word Bandicoot. It comes from "Pandi Kuta" which means "Pig Rat," which is weird, but I think it's the most fantastic word. I don't know how I will use it in my daily language, but don't worry because I will find a way. I could maybe substitute it in for words like "ruffian" or "hooligan." "Ya Bandicoot!!!"
Or I use it fondly, as in, "Hello my darling bandicoot, how was your day?" 
Ehh. I'll figure it out.

2) My teacher frequently goes to Ecuador to study the languages there, and apparently in one language they have no word for "love" or "loved one." Instead, they have a word that means "someone with the potential to make you sad." Isn't that interesting?? 

3) My teacher used the term "Urban prisoners" and I decided that it needs to be a band name.

4) We were talking about names and she mentioned that there was a girl in her ward named Cougar. Cougar. Guys. Those BYU students took it one step too far. 
And she can never date someone younger than her.

5) We were talking about how words get invented sometimes on accident, and I'd like to say that my personal favorite word that was invented is the word Falsity. Apparently a President (I can't remember which one) used it in a speech and they ended up adding it to the dictionary. I just love the fact that I can say "what a rotten falsity" instead of "what a rotten falsehood." Falsity is just such a quality word.






Comments

Popular Posts